Thursday, June 5, 2008

A typical day in the clinic...


... was anything but typical. Going out in the field was only one of the many tasks we were put to during our stay at Hombro a Hombro; on most days, a few students stayed back to help the resident physicians and nurses see the patients that lined up at the door each morning. Penn Nursing students, at varying times, helped with the following range of activities and cases in the clinic:
  • navigating the impossible, Rolodex-heavy patient information system
  • rotating nights of being "on call" with fellow students
  • stitching machete wounds
  • extracting a live bug from a woman's ear canal
  • assisting with ultrasounds
  • hand-developing X-ray films
  • taking blood and checking hematocrits
  • checking urine samples for evidence of infection - and to check for pregnancy!
  • doing full pre-natal checkups
  • working with a team of physicians and other students to devise comprehensive care plans for acute patients
  • round-the-clock observation and care for an acutely ill little boy
  • counseling women coping with domestic abuse and men struggling with alcohol addiction
  • doing home visits for patients that were unable to visit the clinic
  • lots of injections and medication administration
  • a ton of patient education and health advice
  • catching a baby (congrats, Lindsey!)
... the list could go on and on. Many of us came back to Penn claiming that the things that we were able to see and do and the skills we improved on during our stay in Honduras equaled a semester-long clinical course at home. I think we all realize how incredibly fortunate we are to have been chosen for this trip; now that we've been home for a few weeks and have had time to reflect on our experiences, I think many of us realize, too, that the lessons and skills we learned in our clinical practice in Honduras will stay with us for the rest of our careers.

For me, reflection brings an overwhelming feeling of gratitude. I'm grateful for the work that Shoulder to Shoulder has done, and I'm grateful that I was allowed to be a part of it. I'm grateful that I had such an amazing group of fellow students to work with, to learn from, and to share the experience with.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention one of the the resources I'm most grateful for: our outstanding teachers. Maime and Dawn and the other fabulous midwives on the trip were wonderful mentors, clinical instructors, and travel buddies. (We also learned that they are hilarious comedians and great actors!) The Family Practice physicians that accompanied our group, and the resident physicians as well, were also incredible resources. All-in-all, the atmosphere that these nurses and doctors helped create resulted in a perfect environment for learning clinical and interpersonal skills. As one of my fellow nursing students described it: it was "the safest learning environment I've ever been in." (Above: Maime uses Michelle as a student model to show a local Honduran midwife how to check for edema.)

Finally, I think we also learned a lot from our patients and from our fellow Honduran health care workers. For example, our last two days at the clinic were spent with local lay midwives. We had designed a number of popular education pieces to teach about different topics surrounding childbirth; for all of our preparation, we surely learned as much about midwifery from them as they learned from us.
(Penn Nursing students and faculty with a wonderful group of Honduran lay midwives)


4 comments:

deepak said...

you've inspired me to try this.Thanks a lot! sample cna questions

DayBreak Ventures said...

Thanks for wonderful blog.I really appreciated your words that you have said about A typical day in the clinic.
I'm impressed....
Skilled Nursing Homes Texas

anneke sergio said...

HOW DR IMOLOA HERBAL MEDICINE HELPED ME GET RID OF MY 3 YEARS HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS. Hello everyone my name is DONALD am from the united states i have been suffering from (HERPES) disease since 2016 and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Imoloa and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Doctor assured me that i have been cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is, if you have such sickness or any other at all like hepatitis A,B,C,CANCER,HPV,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES 1 AND 2,SMALL PENIS PROBLEM ,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SYPHILIS, WEAK ERECTION,BREAST ENLARGEMENT AND many more ....... you can email him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347081986098. Sir, i am indeed grateful for the help i will forever be grateful for the good work.

anneke sergio said...

My name is john Rooney am from U.S.A. I want to share a testimony of how Dr.Imoloa herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.imoloa herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than two weeks of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. u can contact him drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com . call or whats-apps him through +2347081986098 . he is also specialize on.... GETTING YOUR VIRGINITY BACK.

Thanks for the Enlarging my penis sir, you indeed save my marriage...I am really grateful sir.